Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Simple Spaghetti Squash


Spaghetti Squash Delight! Posted by Picasa

I have a friend who needs to reduce her carbohydrate intake due to a pre-diabetic condition, but who loves her pasta. Meanwhile, I was itching to try some of the new pasta sauce we just brought in from Lucini. And I was glad I did. This is the first bottled pasta sauce that I would be proud to serve to friends. Made with fresh tomatoes and that marvy Lucini olive oil, it tastes almost as good as I could make myself.

I picked up a spaghetti squash at the market. There are various schools of cooking them: I have a friend who sticks a few holes in them and cooks them in the microwave. Others bake them whole. I like to cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and bake the halves, cut side down, on an olive-oiled baking sheet. Then I let them cool and pull out the spaghetti-like strands of squash flesh with a fork.

For the sauce, I quickly sauteed about 4 ounces of Parma prosciutto crudo and then added the Lucini artichoke-tomato sauce, and just barely heated it through. I tossed some of it with the squash, and used the rest as a topping. With a little freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano, I thought it was delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love spaghetti squash! I'm always amazed by how many people have never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing the spaghetti squash gospel!