Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Or maybe not...

Over the weekend I made osso buco for a group of friends.  That translates "hollow bone" and is made from veal shanks cut crosswise.  Browned and simmered with herbs, wine and seasonings, it is a delicious Italian dish.  One of the best parts of it is the marrow in the bone.  Marrow in larger bones might be accessible with a demi-tasse spoon but with the smaller ones you just have to go after it with your dinner knife and then some will fall onto the plate, or in the sauce, or worse, in your lap. 

So I went looking for marrow spoons, also called marrow scoops.  You can see that this is the perfect solution to the problem of how to most efficiently get at the marrow.  I found a few antique ones on ebay, but of course I would need one for everyone at the table.  I finally found a set on a site called Savoir Vivre.  But at $43.00 each, or $475.00 for a set of twelve, I guess I'll just have to hope that somebody will give them to me for Christmas next year.  Or my birthday, yeah, that comes first!

2 comments:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Well, when eating at home without guests, just eat right out of the bone. Sounds like it was a lovely meal

Jane R said...

They're not small enough for small bones, but they are cheap. I picked up the scraper tool that the Crumbier uses to clean the tablecloth.