Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy tasty Brussels sprouts!


I had some kumquats left over from the yummy chicken-kumquat stew that's going to be in my column in Friday's Commercial Appeal. I remembered that Laretha Randolph put kumquats in with Brussels sprouts and chestnuts for our last Thanksgiving dinner. (I've done Thanksgiving dinner with the Randolphs at their home for at least 13 years.) I didn't have the chestnuts but I did have Brussels sprouts for our dinner tonight. I trimmed them and cut them in half. I heated some bacon fat in a skillet and sautéed a bit of chopped shallot. I put the sprouts in cut side down and let them caramelize for a bit. A half cup of chicken stock went in, and the leftover sliced kumquats. Covered, it simmered until the sprouts were just tender. They made a perfect match for our prosciutto wrapped pork chops...but that's for another post!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Coupons for Medifast said...

Very nice Brussels sprouts, my favorite veg. I can't get everyone in the house on this band wagon, but hey their loss all the more for me. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to trying this. I saw fresh kumquats at Schnucks Friday, but didn' know what to do with them. I've made Brussels sprouts Lordone and Laretha's Brussesls, both awsome. Had a Brusels sprouts ap at Cafe Iris last weekend...done with intensely smokey bacon, the best i've ever had.

Unknown said...

I LOVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!!!!! Again, Ronda won't eat them. Will need to try this.

Jackie