Monday, July 26, 2010

A great little French restaurant in DC!


I was heading toward Eastern Market (more about that another time) and on the way from the Metro, passed this French restaurant. It was a little early for my lunch, so I went on to the market. On the way back to the Metro, I stopped in, and was quite pleased that I had. I was greeted by a charming Française, Anne, who led me to my table. I was delighted to find that there were a couple of tables of people speaking French. Real French.  Although they had an extensive lunch menu, I was quite pleased with two choices from the appetizer list.

I ordered the gazpacho to start.  Tom said "but that's not French!" But in the south of France, the influence of the north of Spain is common.  It was done in the Spanish style, thickened with a bit of bread, and garnished, as you can see, with a drizzle of balsamic reduction and sprinkles of diced avocado and crumbled feta. Delicious!


Then I ordered their avocado-roasted yellow beet salad. It was a nice combination of perfectly ripe avocado, grape tomatoes and roasted yellow beets. The dressing was a light mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, and a sprinkling of a fresh herb mixture found in most French restaurant kitchens.   This will definitely be a column in the next few weeks!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: