Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Apple-Cardamom Sabayon Gratin



I needed something sweet to go after a soup supper with friends last night. I didn't want to have to go to the market, so I looked at what I had. Apples! I caramelized them in a bit of butter and brown sugar, put them in gratin dishes and covered them with a brandy-cardamom sabayon (or zabaglione, if you prefer) and ran them under the broiler. The picture doesn't do them justice, I thought they were yummy. We had some tasty little cookies to go with them, but I wish I had put a little scoop of rich vanilla ice cream on top. Coffee ice cream would have been good, too.

APPLE-CARDAMOM SABAYON GRATIN

6 good-sized firm apples (I used Fiji)
3 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp brown sugar
6 egg yolks
5 tbsp white sugar
5 tbsp brandy
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 pinch salt

Peel and cored the apples and cut into thick wedges. In a heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apples and sprinkle with the brown sugar. Cook about 5 minutes, turning gently, until the apples are lightly browned. Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook until almost tender. Remove the cover and cook until the juices are reduced and the apples are caramelized. Divide among six individual gratin dishes.

In a small heavy sauce pan, whisk together the egg yolks, white sugar, brandy, cardamom and salt. Over low heat, whisk until just starting to thickened. Don't overcook or you'll have scrambled eggs! Spoon over the apples.

Preheat your broiler. Place the dishes on a baking sheet and slide under the broiler for a couple of minutes, until the sabayon is lightly golden and just barely set.

No comments: